Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cumin steak with balsamic onions

I made this last night for our (belated) Beltaine feast.  It was so yummy I had to record the recipe so I can make it again!
I don't have exact amounts, mostly because that's not the way I cook, but also because it's a very casual recipe.  The amounts are completely adjustable so you can serve as many or as few as you need.

Begin by rubbing thinnish sirloin steaks with ground cumin, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Flip and rub both sides.  Let sit for 30-45 minutes.  Cut sweet and red onions in half and julienne them.  Set aside so they are ready for the pan when the steaks are done.
Wipe or spray a heavy frying pan with oil and fry steaks over medium heat, flipping until cooked to medium.  Remove steaks to a cutting board, add olive oil to the pan and cook onions until soft.  Slice the steak into thin strips while onions cook.  When onions are soft, drizzle them with honey and balsamic vinegar.  Season lightly with sea salt.  For 2 large onions, I probably used 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 tbsp honey.  When this has reduced slightly to a thick, rich sauce, add the steak back to the pan.  Turn off heat and toss to coat.  Serve the steak and onions with a spring green salad.
I also made up the biscuit recipe I have here but added a small handful of mixed herbs from my garden.  Just chop up and add to the dry ingredients.  I had rosemary, thyme and sage.  It was a fabulous meal.

No comments: