Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

Looks tasty doesn't it?

I know, I know, it's been forever since I did anything with this poor blog. We switched diets around so my recipes were in such flux. My baby became a very active toddler and I had a baby. I'm just getting back to cooking in a creative sense. Hopefully I'll have some time here and there to tweak my recipes some more and share what successes I have in the kitchen. My big struggle is just with writing down amounts.
I'm trying though. Especially when my husband reminds me that if I keep all that information up in my head, no one else can access it. Which leaves me with 100% of the cooking duty. LOL

So, one of the traditional foods I used to make for Christmas was cinnamon rolls. I'd make batch to enjoy right after Thanksgiving, and then give a pan to all the neighbors close to Christmas. My husband is a HUGE fan of cinnamon rolls. What husband isn't? I've never been able to really get them to work though. Then, as I was trying to make sourdough, I stumbled upon a neat trick with millet. It gets rather pliable when you let it sit for awhile! I started wondering if I could maybe, just maybe get it to roll up.
I can!!
This recipe uses lots of dairy. And I've only made it twice. So, like all my recipes--it's a work in progress. I make no claims other than it worked for me. My plan is to try and make a dairy free version. As always, if you try this, let me know what happens.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

3 Cups millet flour
2 Cups tapioca flour
1 Tbsp GF instant yeast
1/4 Cup sugar
1 Tbsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 stick butter-melted
3/4 milk
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon, brown sugar and very soft butter

Mix dry ingredients and add the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat in an electric/stand mixer for about 2 minutes. Then cover and let rest for about 30 minutes, then refrigerate at least 4 hours--overnight is best. Let warm up to room temperature and soften.
Lay out a sheet of wax paper and dust liberallly with flour. Roll out 1/2 the dough to a large rectangle--about 12x18, but you want it pretty thin. Then spread with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and roll up tightly. Cut into sections approx 1-2 inches. Place in a well greased baking pan and repeat. I had 16 rolls, so enough for my 9x13 plus some extra for a small dish.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place about an hour. They won't get as fluffy as the wheat kind, but they should get close to doubled and look soft.
Bake in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes. Watch for browning. Like any cinnamon roll, you don't want them over done. I actually baked mine at 34o for 25 minutes on convect. It may have been just a teeny bit too long. So I'm guessing that 350 for 30 will be about right.
I did mix up a little powdered sugar and milk for a glaze on mine. Just for more sugar. Y'know.
Hubby said these were pretty good. He ate the small dish and I gave away the large pan. I'm curious to hear back. I'm really just excited that I got as far as something that looks like cinnamon rolls!

No comments: