Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tortillas

I have always been a big fan of Mexican, or Tex-mex food. What's not to love? Fresh ingredients, lots of veggies, spicy meat in moderation, beans, and tortillas. Yum. Tortillas. Trouble is, if you're allergic to wheat and corn, that pretty much eliminates tortillas from the diet. Sure, you can find a couple of substitutes, such as Food for Life. But with nut cross-contamination and running close to $4 for 6 tortillas, they are out of the running around here!

Wanting to make real tacos for dinner one night, (or was it fajitas? I don't remember), I was flipping through my cookbooks looking for a recipe to tweak. I found one in The Encyclopedia of Country Living. I played with it a bit and came up with the following recipe. It has served me well for at least 3 years now. I thought I'd shared it here already, but I guess not. Sorry about that!

Nothin' Tortillas

1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup millet flour
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp guar gum
1 cup boiling water

Put everything in a stand mixer--I haven't been able to make this work by hand. Mix it really well. Then let it sit covered for about 5 minutes. Heat a cast iron pan or a griddle a little hotter than you would for pancakes. Do not grease it! Then using a tortilla press*, make your tortillas. Cook them about 30 seconds on each side and transfer to a platter to sit while you make the res.
When you've made them all, cover to "cure" for a little while. If you can wait.
Like many GF foods, these really don't keep well. Which could explain why the store-bought stuff is so gross. But you could try freezing some. I haven't--they never last that long! I do know that you definitely DON'T want to store them in the fridge, as they will get crumbly.
These don't roll very well-about as well as a cooled corn tortilla, but if you use them fresh, you could manage enchiladas okay.
They also fry up pretty well. Tortilla chips anyone?

*You can purchase a cheap tortilla press at any Mexican grocery, international grocery or even a store that caters to a large Hispanic population. I've even seen them in Asian groceries. Go figure. I think I paid less than $10 for mine.
If you don't want to go find one, you can use 2 pieces of plastic wrap with a blob of dough sandwiched inside. Roll out a thin tortilla and proceed as directed.
Either way, cover your tortilla press with plastic wrap and brush/spray it with some oil. This is a soft, sticky dough

No comments: