Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Graham Crackers

Graham crackers are one of the best snacks. And with summer coming up, I'm starting to think of s'mores! I'll dig out my marshmallow recipe and post it soon.
Just like regular crackers, the trick is to roll these nice and thin. I spread the dough on a sheet of parchment, cover it with plastic wrap, and roll out. Then I transfer it to a baking sheet. This makes it easier to roll out evenly.

Graham” Crackers

1 C rice flour
1 C sorghum flour
½ c tapioca starch
1/2C teff flour
1 tsp guar gum
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 C brown sugar
¼ C honey
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 C Earth Balance/butter
water as needed

Combine all ingredients except water in a food processor or stand mixer. Add just enough water to help the dough hold together. It will still look crumbly, but you can press it with your fingers and it will hold together well. Turn dough out onto parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Roll out very thin (1/8”). Score into squares or rectangle. Bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Re-score and return to oven if needed to crisp the crackers more. Cool on rack and store in an airtight container. If they last that long!

2 comments:

Shady Lady said...

Are guar gum and xanthan gum interchangeable?
Thanks!
Bonni

RasJane said...

In my experience, and from what I have read, xanthan gum is a bit "stronger" than quar gum. I would cut the amount in half if you use xanthan gum to replace quar gum.
They also act a little differently in some situations. Xanthan gum can be a little "gummier" in breads and muffins. I think it would be fine to use in the graham crackers though.